Corey Gutwasser, a 25-year-old in Lakeville, Minnesota is out of his medically induced coma that he was put in last month due to Legionnaires’ disease.
According to the University of Minnesota Medical Center, he was exposed to Legionella bacteria in November and was put on life support in December, but is now in stable condition.
Gutwasser’s mother, Melanie Buetow, said that her son will need physical rehabilitation to relearn how to talk and eat.
The Minnesota Department of Health conducted an investigation and cited Babe’s Bar and Grill in Lakeville as a potential source of Gutwasser’s Legionnaires’ disease. Gutwasser worked at the restaurant as a dishwasher and a patron of the restaurant was also hospitalized for Legionnaires’ disease.
“We investigated immediately and determined there was not an imminent risk to the public health,” said Doug Schultz, an Information Officer with the Department of Health. “Nothing was found at the restaurant that made us concerned that there could be widespread problems.”
The restaurant worked with both the state and the City of Lakeville to remediate the water system.
To read more about this story, please click here.