Franklin County Public health officials said both residents of the Manor at Whitehall nursing home tested positive for Legionella bacteria during July of 2017. Another test will be administered to confirm whether the residents specifically had Legionnaires’ disease, the bacterial pneumonia caused by exposure to Legionella bacteria. Both residents were reported to be in their 60’s, and were hospitalized for their injuries.
An inspection of the facility’s plumbing, heating and cooling systems, as well as pipes and water systems was conducted to determine if the bacteria that caused the two residents to become ill came from within the nursing home. As a result of those concerns, management sent a letter out to about 150 members of the staff and residents, advising that they avoid showers and tap water sourced from within the building for drinking or cooking. It is recommended that people sponge bathe, drink bottled water, and purchase bags of ice until further notice.
A hotline has been established by Franklin County Public Heath officials to answer questions and concerns of those associated with the facility, and can be reached at (614) 525-3097.
If you believe you or someone you know has been diagnosed with this disease, Contact us to see what we can do to help.
Jules Zacher is an attorney in Philadelphia who has tried Legionnaires’ disease cases across the U.S. Please visit LegionnaireLawyer.com again for update