Feb
13
2012
Share Button

According to reports from the UK Press Association, the Lanarkshire Health Board has been fined £24,000 after a 64 year old woman was infected with Legionnaires’ Disease at Hartwoodhill Hospital in 2008.  During the January 27th hearing, the Health Board admitted its failure in taking steps to protect people from the bacteria.  Investigations since the outbreak showed strains of the legionella bacteria in three separate sources in the hospital’s water system, including the shower that the woman had been using.  Luckily, the woman survived, despite becoming seriously ill and requiring a tracheotomy.  Officials hope that this incident will lead to better management and better control of the risks posed by legionella bacteria.

 

 

For additional information, please see the articles below:

 

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukpress/article/ALeqM5jKvl0Qo2c-Qa6LT7nQbk4FFHSB9g?docId=N0177151327687196658A

http://www.scotsman.com/news/health/24_000_fine_over_legionella_infection_1_2083538

Posted by jzacher">jzacher at 6:09 pm

 Leave a Reply

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>