Jun
03
2015
Share Button

Andrew Murphy

Andrew Murphy of Lanarkshire was the first Scot known to have contracted Legionnaires’ disease from compost containing Legionella bacteria.  He contracted the illness while using a bag of compost to plant tomatoes and spent 50 days in intensive care as a result of the illness.  Mr. Murphy ultimately died of leukemia after his immune system had been weakened by Legionnaires’ disease.

Now his widow, Margaret is calling for stronger warning labels; “I would not want another family to have to go through what we’ve gone through.  It doesn’t cost a lot, but nobody’s listening.  That just upsets me.”

In New Zealand and Australia, bags of compost have had warnings specific to Legionnaires’ disease; however, bags in Scotland usually only warn people to wear gloves and to wash their hands afterward.

To read more about this story, please click here.

Posted by jzacher">jzacher at 12:25 pm

 Leave a Reply

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>